Friday, January 8, 2010

New York


So this is the view I've been waking up to the past few days while staying with one of my "aunts" in Jersey City. The ferry is the most fun way to get into the city.
I saw two plays while there: In the Heights and Hair. In the Heights has won a few Tony awards and such, but I didn't love it. It didn't have any catchy songs and the subject matter (immigrants living in the barrio) stressed and bummed me out.
Hair, on the other hand, was a blast. Warning: It is not for the easily embarrassed or conservative types. The actors interact with the crowd in hilarious and unexpected ways, and there's a scene where all the characters just get naked.
I coordinated my outfit with the play by wearing a vintage suede fringe vest that I cajoled my mom into passing down to me.
At the end, the audience is invited to get on stage and dance with cast. FYI: There is alcohol served during intermission if you need a little confidence boost to dance onstage.

At The ENK show at the Piers we found these Chan Luu tops among other things, and of course picked out half a dozen of the fabulous wrap bracelets that she does. Will be available at Turtletique soon.

My mom picked out some cool buckles/belts from R.U. Swanky?. She was nice enough to get me this Indian head model.

Next time I go to NY, I'd love to stay at The Jane.